Tuesday, October 12, 2010
The First of 10 Very, Very Sad Girls
"I'm Sad because my Umbrella's Polka Dots are Actually Holes"
Ball point pen
For my class "The Lab" I have to make 25 copies of a product to sell at the art market in December. The product I've decided to make is a book called "10 Sad Girls." It's going to consist of 10 illustrations of little cartoon girls in sad situations. This is the first one I've managed to finish, which, well, is kind of pathetic, because it's the middle of October, and I only have 2 months left! But oh well, that is okay - the first month I was too caught up in just trying to get the planning done (which I have admit... isn't quite resolved... yet) This is my first time trying to do "finished" illustrations in ball point pen. As a result I ran into a lot of mistakes while doing this, and although that was disappointing, it should (or at least I hope) make my next 9 illustrations go a little smoother...
In case you are curious, here are the 9 other sad situations I will be illustrating (in no particular order):
- I'm sad because my family sold me at our garage sale.
- I'm sad because I threw my kitten into a desert and now I want it back.
- I'm sad because my bicycle helmet is actually a top hat.
- I'm sad because my head is more rectangular than it is spherical.
- I'm sad because my neighbor poured gravy all over my garden.
- I'm sad because an army of bunnies has been after me for years.
- I'm sad because only bears seem to like me.
- I'm sad because a giant robot crushed my lemonade stand.
- I'm sad because whenever I smile, I still look like I'm frowning.
Way back in the summer, I asked people on facebook to suggest what kind of sad situations these girls could be in. Although all of the suggestions were fantastic, only one really worked with my concept, which was "I'm sad because a giant robot crushed my lemonade stand." I thought I'd give credit here to Greg Murphy for being the one who suggested it. Thanks!
Okay, well that is all I have to share for now. So long!